Mairin Jerome, MD
Dr. Mairin Jerome is a physiatrist with subspecialty fellowship training in Interventional Orthopedics and Regenerative Medicine. Born and raised in New York City, Dr. Jerome obtained her undergraduate degree in studio art with a focus on sculpture from Brown University. Following college, she completed a two-year commitment with Teach for America. She received her medical degree from the University of Vermont College of Medicine, during which she pursued an additional year-long student fellowship in anatomic pathology and researched the effects of stretching on connective tissue cellular morphology. She completed her physiatry residency at Emory University, where she gained extensive experience in general physiatry, image-guided procedural interventions, and regenerative medicine. At Emory, Dr. Jerome served as Chief Resident, received an award for her research, and for three consecutive years was awarded ‘Resident of the Year.’
Dr. Jerome completed her fellowship in Interventional Orthopedics and Regenerative Medicine at the Centeno-Schultz Clinic in 2020. She then served as an attending physician and Medical Director at the Regenerative SportsCare Institute (RSI) in New York City. She was fortunate to return to Centeno-Schultz in 2022, where she further honed her skills in complex spine and joint procedures, in addition to developing treatment protocols for pelvic pain. Dr. Jerome is thrilled to join the talented team at Regenexx Des Moines.
Outside of work, Dr. Jerome enjoys spending time with her dog, Oliver, practicing Ashtanga yoga, and spending as much time as possible outdoors
Approach to Patient Care
Dr. Jerome is a strong believer in listening carefully to patients, taking an in-depth history, performing a thorough physical examination using the “SANS” approach, and advanced imaging where needed for an accurate diagnosis. “SANS,” developed by Centeno-Schultz, stands for stability, articulation, neuromuscular control, and symmetry. This approach to patient care allows for a more holistic evaluation to identify the source of underlying musculoskeletal dysfunction. For example, when examining a shoulder injury, it is important to also evaluate the cervical spine to evaluate rule it in or out as a contributing factor. From this perspective, she works in partnership with her patients to establish a treatment plan that combines therapeutic exercise, manual tissue therapy, and fluoroscopic and/or ultrasound guided prolotherapy or orthobiologic injections, if indicated. She also utilizes needle tenotomy, as well as nerve and fascial plane hydrodissection, where appropriate. Dr. Jerome is also interested in counseling her patients in nutrition and exercise optimization to ensure the best results.
Research Interests and Publications
Dr. Jerome has published multiple peer-reviewed papers on the topics of regenerative medicine, vitamin-D supplementation, and nutritional analysis, among others. She has presented her research nationally and internationally at professional conferences and continues to be actively engaged in clinical studies. Her areas of interest currently include treating spinal pathology using the functional spinal unit paradigm, intradiscal orthobiologic injection, improved treatments for scoliosis, patient factors predictive of positive or negative outcomes following orthobiologic injections, microbiome influence on musculoskeletal dysfunction, as well as optimal cell harvest techniques and injectate components based on target tissues. Dr. Jerome also has a special interest in the application of regenerative medicine for the successful treatment of musculoskeletal pelvic floor dysfunction, such as those related to pregnancy, certain types of urinary frequency/urgency, pudendal neuralgia, and pelvic floor issues specific to both female and male athletes.
In addition, she has co-authored textbook chapters on the use of bone marrow concentrate for painful musculoskeletal conditions and interventional orthopedic procedural techniques for the knee.
PGY-4 Resident of the Year, Emory University School of Medicine (SOM), PM&R Residency Program, 2019
Resident Research Award, Emory University SOM, PM&R Residency Program, 2018
PGY-3 Resident of the Year, Emory University SOM, PM&R Residency Program, 2018
PGY-2 Resident of the Year, Emory University SOM, PM&R Residency Program, 2017
Albert Schweitzer Fellowship, University of Vermont College of Medicine, 2011-2012
UVM COM Travel Award, Operation Smile Clinical/Research Internship, Guwahati India, 2011
Roberta Joslin Award for Excellence in Art, Brown University, 2005
Resource Artists/Scholars Program Fellowship, Brown University, 2004-2005
Fellowship, Interventional Orthopedics and Regenerative Medicine, Centeno-Schultz Clinic, 2020
Residency, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Emory University School of Medicine, 2019
Internship, Kaweah Delta Health Care District, 2016
Medical School, University of Vermont (UVM) College of Medicine, 2015
Post-baccalaureate Pre-medical Certificate, Washington University in St. Louis, 2009
B.A. with honors in Visual Arts, Brown University, 2005
Licensure / Certifications
Iowa State Medical License
New York State Physicians and Surgeons Licensure (2020-2022)
Colorado State Medical License (2019-2023)
Physiatry, American Board of PM&R
Interventional Orthobiologics Foundation Full Advanced Certification
Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
Myofascial Release Level I
Non-surgical management of spine, joint, tendon, and ligament injures via Interventional Orthopedics.
Non-surgical management of nerve entrapment and fascial restriction.
SANS evaluation (“SANS” stability, articulation, neuromuscular control, and symmetry).
Pre-procedural nutrition and exercise optimization.
Fluoroscopically-guided (X-ray) injection of cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine.
Fluoroscopically-guided injections for certain structures (such as labrum or deep ligaments, such as ACL or sinus tarsi ligaments) within the shoulder, hip, knee, and ankle.
Ultrasound-guided ligament, tendon, and joint injections.
Ultrasound-guided needle tenotomy, nerve hydrodissection, and fascial plane hydrodissection.
Appointments and Affiliations
Interventional Orthobiologics Foundation, member
American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, member
American Academy of Academic Physiatrists, member
American Medical Association, member
Osteoarthritis of the knee, hip, shoulder, elbow, wrist, hand, foot, ankle, and spine.
Tendinopathies (tennis elbow, golfers’ elbow, hamstring, achilles, rotator cuff, among others).
Ligament injuries (ACL, UCL, ATFL, among others).
Sports hernia/athletic pubalgia.
Sacroiliac joint dysfunction.
Carpal tunnel syndrome.
Cartilage injury (knee menisci, labrum of the shoulder or hip, chondral defects).
Ligament hypermobility, such as that caused by Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.
Spinal facet joint pain.
Cervical, thoracic, and lumbar radiculopathy.
Adjacent segment disease.
Plantar plate injuries.
Thumb joint arthritis.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Williams C, Jerome M, Fausel C, Dodson E, Stemper I, Centeno C. Regenerative Injection Treatments Utilizing Platelet Products and Prolotherapy for Cervical Spine Pain: A Functional Spinal Unit Approach. Cureus. 2021 Oct 8;13(10):e18608. doi: 10.7759/cureus.18608. PMID: 34659923; PMCID: PMC8500543.
- Street A, Jerome M A, Williams C J (July 27, 2021) Atraumatic Medullary Osteonecrosis of the Tibia and Femur Treated With Intraosseous Orthobiologics. Cureus 13(7): e16677. doi:10.7759/cureus.16677
- Jerome MA, Lutz C, Lutz GE. Risks of Intradiscal Orthobiologic Injections: A Review of the Literature and Case Series Presentation. Int J Spine Surg. 2021; 15(s1) 26-39; DOI: 10.14444/8053.
- Centeno CJ, Jerome MA, Pastoriza SM, Shapiro S, Mautner K, Malanga GA, DePalma MJ, Mason RA, Stemper I, Dodson E. Use of Bone Marrow Concentrate to Treat Pain and Musculoskeletal Disorders: An Academic Delphi Investigation. Pain Physician. 2021 May;24(3):263-273. PMID: 33988946.
- Mautner K, Jerome MA, Easley K, Nanos K, Everts P. Laboratory Quantification of Bone Marrow Concentrate Components in Unilateral Versus Bilateral Posterior Superior Iliac Spine Aspiration. Stem Cell Research & Therapy. 2021; 10. 466.
- Manchikanti L, Centeno CJ, Atluri S, Albers SL, Shapiro S, Malanga GA, Abd-Elsayed A, Jerome M, Hirsch JA, Kaye AD, Aydin SM, Beall D, Buford D, Borg-Stein J, Buenaventura R, Cabarat JA, Calodney AK, Candido KD, Cartier C, Latchaw R, Diwan S, Dodson E, . . . Hernigou P. Bone Marrow Concentrate (BMC) Therapy in Musculoskeletal Disorders: Evidence-Based Policy Position Statement of American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP). Pain Physician. 2020; 23:E85-E131.
- Sussman WI, Jerome MA, Foster L. Platelet-rich plasma for the treatment of coccydynia: a case report and review of regenerative medicine for coccydynia. Regen Med 2019 14:12, 1151-1154.
- Ettefagh L,* Jerome MA,* Porter J, Monfared HH, Burke DT. Screening for occult lower-extremity deep vein thrombosis on admission to acute inpatient rehabilitation: A cross sectional, prospective study. J Int Soc Phys Rehabil Med 2019; [In press]
- Abramoff B, Krull C, Jerome M, Principe J, Cai Q, Tailor Y. Intervention for Increasing Vitamin D Supplementation in a Deficient Rehabilitation Population: Outcomes of a Quality Improvement Initiative. PM R. 2019 Jan 27. doi: 10.1002/pmrj.12092. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jerome MA, Gillenwater J, Laub DR, Osler T, Allan AY, Restrepo C, Campbell A. Primary Cleft Lip and Palate Repair in Assam, India: Does pre-operative anthropometric analysis help identify patients with increased surgical risk? Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2017 Nov;54(6): 720-25.
- Persing S, Jerome MA, James T, Weaver D, et al. Surgical Margin Reporting in Breast Conserving Surgery: Does compliance with guidelines change outcomes for patients? The Breast. 2015 Oct;24(5):618-22.
- Jerome MA, Laub D. Dissecting Cellulitis of the Scalp: case discussion, unique considerations, and treatment options. EPlasty. 2014; June 6;14:ic17.
- Pitts JA, Jerome MA. “Ultrasound and Fluoroscopically-guided Knee Injections.” Atlas of Interventional Orthopedics Procedures Essential Guide for Fluoroscopy and Ultrasound Guided Procedures, 1st edition, edited by Christopher Williams, John Pitts, and Walter Sussman, Elsevier, 2022, (in press).
- Centeno CJ, Jerome MA, Williams CJ. “Chapter 26-Bone Marrow Derived Stem Cells and their Application in Pain Medicine.” Regenerative Medicine-A Complete Guide, 1st edition, edited by Corey Hunter, Timothy Davis, and Michael DePalma, Springer, 2022, (in press).
- Jerome MA. Microbiome and Dysbiosis: Microgut Influence on Intervertebral Subchondral Bone, Spinal Discs, and Degenerative Joint Disease. 12th Annual Orthobiologics (TOBI) Symposium, Oct 8-9, 2021, Virtual. Awarded best talk in content section by peer audience vote.
- Jerome MA, Lutz GE. Antimicrobial Properties of Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) and Gentamicin Against C. acnes in vitro: Intradiscal Orthobiologic Safety Optimization. 6th Annual Interventional Orthobiologics Foundation Conference, Feb 8-9th, 2021, Virtual.
Posters / Presentations
- Jerome MA, Williams CJ, Fausel C, Dodson E, Stemper I, Centeno CJ. Review of Regenerative Orthobiologic Treatments in the Spine with Presentation of a Case Series Utilizing Platelet-Based Treatments for Cervical Spine Pain. 5th Annual Interventional Orthopedics Conf, Feb 12-14th, Broomfield, CO (presenter).
- Burke DT, Porter J, Ettefagh L, Jerome MA, Dennison AC. Prevalence of occult lower extremity deep vein thrombosis and identification of clinically relevant factors in patents admitted to an inpatient acquired brain injury rehabilitation program. 13th International Society of Physical + Rehabilitation Medicine World Congress, June 9-13, Kobe, Japan. (poster presenter).
- Jerome MA, Sussman W, Foster L. Platelet Rich Plasma for the Treatment of Coccydynia: A Case Report. TOBI 10th Annual Symposium, June 6-8, 2019, Chicago, IL. (poster presenter)
- Jerome MA, Mogbo C, Kneer L. Transient Osteoporosis of Pregnancy: A Case Report of an Unusual but Serious Etiology of Severe Hip Pain. AAP Annual Meeting, February 19-23, 2019, San Jose, PR. (poster presenter)
- Bradberry D, Jerome MA, Cui D. Identification of Life-Altering Adverse Events in Publication Related to Fluoroscopically-Guided Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injections from 2002 to Current: A Literature Review. 12th International Society of Physical + Rehabilitation Medicine World Congress, July 8-12, Paris, France.(poster presenter).
- Jerome MA, Ettefagh L, Porter J, Monfared H. Is screening for occult lower extremity deep vein thrombosis (DVT) upon admission to acute inpatient rehabilitation hospitals clinically warranted? 12th International Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine World Congress, July 8-12, Paris, France. (poster presenter)
- Burke D, Ibekwe E, Jerome MA, Tran M. Using Twitter to Identify Healthcare Consumer Sentiment. 12th International Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine World Congress, July 8-12, Paris, France. (poster presenter)
- Jerome MA, Bouffard N, Maple R, Badger G, Langevin H. Stretching of connective tissue: Do porcine fibroblasts increase in cross sectional area in response to shear stretch? Association of Academic Physiatrists 2018 Annual Meeting, July 16-20, 2016, Sacramento, CA. (poster presenter)
- Persing S, Sprague B, James TA, Callas P, Mace J, Jerome MA, Sowden M, Goodwin A, Weaver DL. Surgical Margin Reporting in Breast Conserving Surgery: Does Compliance with Guidelines Affect Re-excision and Mastectomy Rates? American Society of Breast Surgeons, 15th Annual Meeting, April 30-May 4, 2014, Las Vegas, NV. (poster presenter)
- Campbell A, Restrepo C, Gillenwater J, Jerome MA, Laub DR, Allan A. Primary Cleft Lip Repair: Nutritional Assessment and Surgical Risk in Assam, India. Poster presentation at the 12th International Congress on Cleft Lip/Palate and Related Craniofacial Abnormalities, Orlando, FL, May 6-10, 2013. (poster presenter)
- Atiyeh A, Blasberg E, Cushanick K, Edberg D, Jerome MA, Ng P, Meehan R, Delaney T, Carney J. “3 Squares Vermont” Food Assistance Usage by Patrons at the Chittenden Emergency Food Shelf. American Public Health Association Annual 140th Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, 2012.
- Colt E, Akram M, Thornton J, Beiling D, Jerome MA, Kausel A, Paladugu S, Tajrishi R, Servetnyk Z, Pi-Sunyer X. Comparison of High Resolution Peripheral Quantitative Computerized Tomography (HR-pQCT) with Dual Energy Photon Absorptiometry (DXA) for Measuring Bone Mineral Density (BMD) in Subjects of Differing Fatness. 93rd Annual Meeting of the Endocrine Society, Boston, MA, June 4-7, 2011.